Pengzhen is a PhD student researching plant selection for green roofs to optimise stormwater performance and survival.
To do this, Pengzhen is measuring the physiological response and plant traits of a variety of species with different life-forms under green roof and controlled glasshouse conditions.
The objectives of her research are to:
- determine how plants with different drought avoidance (isohydry) or tolerance (anisohydry) strategies respond to drought stress
- determine how plants with different regeneration strategies, namely seeders and resprouters, to drought stress
- assess the plasticity of plants with different water use or regeneration strategies to drought stress
- determine the trade-offs between water use and regeneration strategies on green roof survival and water use for stormwater management
- determine how physiological and morphological plant traits relate to plant water use and survival
- provide insights into the importance of drought resistance strategies and regeneration strategies for selecting species best suited for adverse green roofs.